14 September 2007


Morning Glory: A Poem from the Chinese Book of Odes
imagery illustrated by Robelyn Valenzuela (II-Acacia)

The morning glory climbs above my head -
Pale flowers of white and purple, blue and red.
I am disquieted.

Down in the withered grass something stirred;
I thought it was his footfall that I heard.
Then a grasshopper chirped.

I climbed the hill just as the moon showed;
I saw him coming from the southern road.
My heart lays down its load.

Imagery is any series of words that create a picture in your head. Such images can be created by using figures of speech such as similes, metaphors, personification and assonance. Imagery helps the reader picture what is going on. Imagery is also the term used to refer to the creation (or re-creation) of any experience in the mind — auditory, visual, tactile, olfactory, gustatory, kinesthetic, organic. (wikipedia.com)

1 comment:

classroom said...

Great artwork, Robelyn!
Guys, what other mental pictures or images are created in the poem?

Followers